Couples therapy or couples counseling is useful for couples who are experiencing difficulties such as volatile arguments, feelings of distance or emptiness in the relationship, pervasive feelings of anger, betrayal, resentment, dissatisfaction, lack of interest in affection, or in a physical relationship with one another.
Your situation may feel like two people, far apart, with too much damage done to save the marriage. But before you and your partner close the door forever you owe it to yourselves, and possibly your children, to give your relationship one more try.
A healthy and happy relationship can be difficult when there are psychological problems interfering with communication. There’s a variety of psychological problems, ranging from mild to severe, that can cause increased stress to the relationship. Learning how to deal with those psychological problems, and learning more effective ways to communicate with each other is important to improve your relationship.
Couples therapy can be short term, needing only a few sessions to help you weather a crisis. Or you may need couples therapy for several months, particularly if your relationship has greatly deteriorated.
During couples therapy, I will help you and your partner identify the conflict issues within your relationship, and will help you find what changes are needed in the relationship, and in the behavior of each partner, for both of you to feel satisfied with the relationship.
Some of the areas I work with couples on are:
- Balancing Time & Priorities
- Dealing with In-Laws
- Infertility & Adoption
- Money & Finances
- Power, Negotiating & Making Decisions
- Pre-marital Counseling
Shattered relationships really can come together in new ways. Your life and marriage can be better and stronger than it was before. For more information about costs and insurance for therapy in St. Paul MN, please visit my rates and insurance page or contact me directly.
Ben Wolf's Therapist Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Minnesota in 2002
- Master’s Degree in Social Work (MSW) from Augsburg College in 2004
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW)
- Certified therapist in the use of Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trained in Maudsley Family Based Therapy (FBT)
- I completed training in pediatric hypnosis and hypnotherapy through The National Pediatric Hypnosis Training Institute